My Birthday

Last week marked my 29th birthday, the dreadful birthday that officially registers my ticket on the high speed train away from my 20's and towards my 30's.

Normally I like to indulge my sweet tooth the days leading up to my birthday, aka my birth-week.  But living in Haifa is a different beast entirely from Toronto. In Toronto there are a plethora of restaurants or stores that sell what I'm craving, anywhere from a skillet cookie from Montana's to a heavily customized scoop of ice cream form Marble Slab. In Haifa, the choices are few and far between. There's pretty much only one reasonably-priced bakery within walking distance, and I've already sampled their apple turnovers, lemon tarts, and cheese puffs. It would hardly be special to have something I've already had.

So how to make this difficult birthday--not only in number but also because I'm away from my family and friends--special? You go to the expensive bakery of course!! The doctor was generous enough to buy me an expensive cheesecake, all for me! Here's a picture from their site, since I obviously didn't wait long enough to take a picture before I started eating it!!


The doctor and I spent the day at a nearby park sliding down slides, climbing up various rope and metal structures, swinging on swings, and playing pokémon of course! Truly young at heart isn't only a cliche statement!

In addition to the cheesecake and various treats eaten in Greece (milkshakes, smoothies, ice cream, baklava, Cinnabon, and a chocolate croissant), I also indulged in poptarts and chocolate milk, and we had a nice dinner out at a nearby pub. Everything in moderation, including moderation, right??!! I also got an extra special package from home!! My brother and his fiancé sent me a carefully curated package containing some of my favourite things! It's an hourly struggle to not devour these treats from home that I haven't had in months.



I'm looking forward to the upcoming year, with my short stint in Vienna, then a more permanent stay in Canada.

Comments